Jean-François de Pontet, royal governor of the Médoc, combined several vineyard plots in Pauillac in the early 18th century. Years later, his descendants added neighbouring vines in a place named Canet. This was the beginning of one of the largest estates in the Médoc, which quite naturally added the name of its founder to that of the land registry reference.
A century later, Pontet-Canet was included in the famous 1855 classification, thereby confirming its membership among the elite of the Médoc. This privileged position did not go unnoticed by one of the most important Bordeaux shippers of the time, Herman Cruse, who bought the estate in 1865. He built new cellars, modernised the winemaking facilities, and established the wine's reputation around the world. The Cruse family owned Pontet-Canet for 110 years, until another shipper (from Cognac this time), Guy Tesseron, acquired it in 1975.
Over two centuries Pontet-Canet has been owned by three different families. Today it is run by Alfred Tesseron with his niece Melanie (daughter of Gerard Tesseron) who is the descendant of Guy Tesseron. Thirty years after their arrival in Pauillac the Tesseron have the satisfaction of knowing that they have gradually replanted some of the vineyard and renovated the buildings and the wine making facilities.
Appellation : Pauillac
Surface area : 120 Hectares of which 81 are vines
Geology : Soil : quaternary gravel
Grape Varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon 62%, Cabernet Franc 4%, Merlot
32%, Petit Verdot 2%
Vines average age : 40-45 years
Method of Viticulture : Certified Organic and Biodynamic
Plantation density : 9500 vines per hectare
Pruning : Double Guyot pruning - médocain style
Harvest : By hand in small boxes